Upper Peninsula Brewing Company House, photo submitted in 1980.
Click above images to enlarge

Upper Peninsula Brewing Company Building
Meeske Street and US-41, Marquette - Marquette County
Other Names Meske, Charles, House
Charles Meeske House
Property Type stone building
Style Romanesque
Narrative Description Located on the site of a natural spring, the Charles Meeske House was the entrance house of the larger complex of the Upper Peninsula Brewing Company. When built, the complex had warehouses, gardens, a pond, two frame residences, a five-story stone tower, and a bottling plant which have been removed. The remaining two-story rectangular structure is constructed of variegated, rough-cut sandstone with an outside stone chimney, crenelated parapets, and a flat roof. A rounded sandstone arch portico shelters the recessed entrance beneath a dentiled stone frieze. Beneath a dentiled cornice which encircles the building are the initials "U.P.B.Co." carved in stone. The building is a vernacular example of Romanesque Revival style architecture.
Statement of Significance The Charles Meeske House of the Upper Peninsula Brewing Company was the house and office building of one of Marquette's master brewers and expressed a distinct form of ethnic landscape architecture-- the German Biergarten-- a pastoral oasis for the consumption of beer. The Brewing Company's complex of castle-like sandstone buildings, constructed by owners Charles Meeske and Reiner Hoch in 1894, replaced the earlier frame structures built by Marquette's pioneer German brewer George Rublein from whom Meeske and Hoch purchased the brewery in 1879. In the brewery's rural setting, Meeske built a bandstand, planted gardens, and dug a pond to replicate a German beer garden. At the entrance to the site, Meeske erected a two-story sandstone castle, making the entire landscape evocative of his native Germany. Prohibition ended beer production at the Upper Peninsula Brewing Company in 1916.
Period of Significance 1866-1900
Significant Date(s) 1893, 1894
Registry Type(s) 05/15/1980 National Register listed
Site ID# P24151