Longyear Hall, photo submitted in 1980.
Click above images to enlarge

Longyear Hall of Pedagogy - Northern Michigan University
Presque Isle Avenue, Marquette - Marquette County
Other Names Longyear Hall
Property Type stone building
Historic Use EDUCATION
Current Use VACANT/NOT IN USE
Style Late Gothic Revival
Architect/Builder Charles F. Demetrius
Charlton, Gilbert and DeMar
Ernest W. Arnold
Narrative Description Longyear Hall, as it presently stands, is a 1907 reconstruction of the original Longyear Hall erected in 1900 as Northern Michigan Normal School's first building. It's architectural style is significant less for its artistic merit than for its conformity to buildings of the period, local materials used, and the symbolic identification it engenders with the school's early history. The rectangular two-and-one-half-story structure is constructed of Marquette brownstone on a steel frame. Crenelated, two-story bay windows project from the front facade on either side of the main entrance. A dentil cornice runs around the top of the structure. A stone beltcourse molding separates the first and second stories. A bank of three rectangular windows over the main entrance are highlighted by a stone hoodmold. The hipped roof is pierced by gable-roofed dormers.
Statement of Significance Longyear Hall is one of the earliest existing buildings of the original Northern Michigan Normal School (est. 1899). The first Longyear Hall was erected in 1900. The building was named in honor of John M. Longyear a local landsurveyor and real estate developer and former mayor of Marquette who took an active part in the establishment of Northern Michigan Normal School. Together with his partner, J.C. Ayer, Longyear donated twenty acres as the site for the new school and erected a wooden dormitory for housing female students. In 1900, the first Longyear Hall, designed by the Sault Ste. Marie firm of Charleton, Gilbert, and Demar. The building burned down in 1905 and a second Longyear Hall was erected in 1907 based on designs by Battle Creek architect E.W. Arnold. Longyear Hall was originally part of a three hall complex, but Kaye hall and the Peter White Science Hall which were once connected to it have been torn down.
Period of Significance 1901-1930
Significant Date(s) 1906, 1907
Registry Type(s) 04/03/1980 National Register listed
Site ID# P24139