Kaye Hall (DEMOLISHED), photo submitted c. 1970
Click above images to enlarge

Northern Michigan University: Kaye Hall Complex (All structures demolished)
Presque Isle Avenue, campus of Northern Michigan University, Marquette - Marquette County
Other Names Longyear Hall
Kaye Hall: Longyear Hall
Property Type brick building
Historic Use EDUCATION/college
Style Tudor Revival
Architect/Builder Charlton, Gilbert and DeMar
Ernest W. Arnold
Narrative Description The Kaye Hall Complex (DEMOLISHED) was a massive, three building, Tudor Revival complex of indigenous sandstone. The buildings were attached to one another; connecting hallways, called cloisters, ran between the buildings and formed the first floor of Kaye Hall, constructed in 1915. The three story complex had a cut sandstone facade, while the center building, Kaye Hall, had brick sides and back due to the shortage of sandstone at the time. The buildings display recessed, arched entrances, castellated cornicelines, and regular fenestration.
Statement of Significance The Kaye Hall Complex (DEMOLISHED) was significant as a fine example of Tudor Revival architecture in Marquette. It was also significant as the first series of buildings which housed the Northern Michigan Normal School, founded in 1899 as a school to train teachers. The school greatly expanded its academic programs and in 1963 gained the designation Northern Michigan University.
Period of Significance 1901-1930
Significant Date(s) 1901-1902
1973
Registry Type(s) 04/14/1972 State Register listed
Site ID# P24138