Henry R. and Mary Hewitt Mather House, photo submitted 1972
Click above images to enlarge

Mather, Henry R. and Mary Hewitt, House
450Ridge Street, Marquette - Marquette County
Other Names C. H. Call House
Property Type frame house
Historic Use DOMESTIC
Current Use DOMESTIC
Style Gothic Revival
Architect/Builder Carl F. Struck
Henry Lord Gay Company
Narrative Description The Henry R. and Mary Hewitt Mather House is a one-and-one-half-story, gabled, wood-frame, Gothic Revival house. It features typical Gothic Revival architectural elements such as sharply-pitched gables and dormers, pierced-wood vergeboards, arched and hooded lancet windows, and vertical board-and-batten siding.
Statement of Significance The Henry R. and Mary Hewitt Mather House is a noteworthy example of the Gothic Revival style of residential architecture in Marquette. The house, built in 1867 for Henry R. Mather, was designed by Carl F. Struck of the Henry Lord Gay Company of Chicago. Mather, who had come to Marquette from Cleveland, was the first president of the Cleveland Iron Mining Company. The house later became the summer home of U.S. Supreme Court Justice George Shiras II.
Period of Significance 1866-1900
Significant Date(s) 1867
1878
Registry Type(s) 01/13/1972 National Register listed
05/18/1971 State Register listed
Site ID# P24131