The Edsel and Eleanor Ford House, photos c. 1980 The Edsel and Eleanor Ford House, photos c. 1980 The Edsel and Eleanor Ford House, photos c. 1980
Click above images to enlarge

Ford, Edsel and Eleanor, House
1100Lakeshore Drive, Grosse Pointe Shores - Macomb County
Other Names Lakeview, Gaukler Point
Property Type stone house
Historic Use DOMESTIC
Current Use RECREATION AND CULTURE
Style Tudor Revival
Architect/Builder Albert Kahn
Jens Jensen
Significant Person Edsel Ford
Narrative Description The Edsel and Eleanor Ford House is a magnificent sixty-room mansion with a primarily two-story plan resembling grand-scale English Cotswold architecture, composed of several side-gable wings and additions joined by hyphens, with rough coursed Briar Hill sandstone walls topped by split-stone roofing. The massive squared entrance tower features a crenelated roofline. Various projecting bays are topped by parapets and feature dormers and bay windows. The opulent interior remains primarily original. Located on almost eighty-eight acres of premier Lake Saint Clair shoreline, the estate includes six accessory buildings and various recreational facilities.
Statement of Significance The Edsel and Eleanor Ford House is significant for its elegant architecture and its association with three individuals credited with shaping much of modern Detroit. The mansion was designed by world renown Detroit architect Albert Kahn as the home of Edsel Ford, son of Henry and president of Ford Motor Co., and Eleanor Clay Ford, niece of retailer Joseph Hudson. The home is also known as one of the best surviving examples of Danish landscape architect Jens Jensen. One of the last great estates of Detroit's auto barons, the Ford House is currently a museum and public center.
Marker Name EDSEL AND ELEANOR FORD HOUSE
Marker Text EDSEL AND ELEANOR FORD HOUSE Edsel Ford, President of the Ford Motor Company for many years, and his wife, Eleanor Clay, completed this eighty-seven-acre estate in 1927. Architect Albert Kahn derived the design from precedents in Cotswold, England, and many of the building materials, including the staircase, paneling, and fireplaces, were brought from old English homes. Noted landscape architect Jens Jensen developed the grounds. The Fords were collectors of art and antiques, and benefactors of local and national institutions. Edsel was instrumental in the creation of the Ford Foundation in 1936. He died here on May 26, 1943. His wife, who lived here until her death on October 19, 1976, endowed the property and directed it to be maintained for public use.
Period of Significance 1901-1930
Significant Date(s) 1927, 1930
Registry Type(s) 01/25/1980 Marker erected
07/24/1979 National Register listed
02/07/1977 State Register listed
Site ID# P24099