First Congregational Church, Richmond, photo submitted 1975.
Click above images to enlarge

First Congregational Church
69619 Parker, Richmond - Macomb County
Other Names Richmond Center for the Performing Arts
Property Type church
Historic Use RELIGION
Current Use RECREATION AND CULTURE
Style Gothic Revival
Architect/Builder Charles W. McCauley
Narrative Description The First Congregational Church in Richmond is a cross-gable, red brick, Gothic Revival structure standing on a raised coursed fieldstone foundation. The entrance facade is asymmetrical, with a gable-end balanced by a heavy inset square tower surmounted by a castellated wooden belfry. Light colored stone capping stepped buttresses and lancet windows with bold tracery are decorative architectural details. The interior of the church has been converted to accommodate a small theater.
Statement of Significance The First Congregational Church in Richmond is the oldest public building in the city and a well-preserved example of Gothic Revival architecture. The church was commissioned in 1887 by a group of settlers who hired local builder Charles W. McCauley to build the structure. The church currently houses the Richmond Center for the Performing Arts administered by the Richmond Board of Education.
Marker Name Richmond Center for the Performing Arts
Marker Text RICHMOND CENTER FOR THE PERFORMING ARTS Built in 1887, this structure formerly served as the First Congregational Church. When the congregation merged with St. Paul's Evangelical and Reformed Church in 1973, it sold the building to the Richmond Community Theatre. That group adapted the interior for reuse as a theater and carefully restored the exterior. The building is a significant example of Gothic Revival architecture. The Richmond Center for the Performing Arts was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.
Period of Significance 1866-1900
Significant Date(s) 1887
Registry Type(s) 08/17/1988 Marker erected
12/06/1975 National Register listed
04/04/1975 State Register listed
Site ID# P24067