Grace Episcopal Church, photo submitted 1975
Click above images to enlarge

Grace Episcopal Church
115 S. Gratiot Avenue, NE corner of Church St., Mt. Clemens - Macomb County
Property Type church
Historic Use RELIGION/religious facility
Current Use RELIGION/religious facility
Style Gothic Revival
Statement of Significance In the Fall of 1849, Reverend Edward Magee traveled to the village of Mt. Clemens to take charge of a group of Christians there who wanted to organize an Episcopal church. In 1850, the members applied to the Episcopalian Diocese of Michigan for admission to the union. For years the congregation struggled to maintain membership and finances. Lacking a permanent house of worship, the early services were held primarily at the Macomb County Court House. In October of 1867, a deed was obtained for land on which a church building could be raised. A building committee was formed in 1869, and prominent Detroit architect Gordon W. Lloyd was chosen to draw up plans for a brick structure; however for some unknown reason these plans were not used. The cornerstone for the present church was laid on September 6, 1870. Completed sometime in 1871, the wood frame structure was built in the Norman style of architecture. Grace Episcopal Church was incorporated under the Articles of Agreement signed April 4, 1871.
Marker Name Grace Episcopal Church
Marker Text GRACE EPISCOPAL CHURCH The Episcopal Diocese of Michigan sent Edward Magee to Mount Clemens in 1849. The interest generated by this missionary visit culminated a year later when the Grace Episcopal congregation was formed. In December of that year Michigan's first Episcopal Bishop, the Right Reverend Samuel McCoskry, conducted services in the courthouse. Six members were confirmed and Magee was ordained. In 1870 this simple Gothic Revival church was built.
Period of Significance 1866-1900
Significant Date(s) 1870-1871
Registry Type(s) 11/02/1976 Marker erected
08/15/1975 State Register listed
Site ID# P24059