Erin-Warren District No. 2 School, photo submitted 1989 Erin-Warren District No. 2 School, photo submitted 1989 Erin-Warren District No. 2 School, photo submitted 1989 Erin-Warren District No. 2 School, photo submitted 1989 Erin-Warren District No. 2 School, photo submitted 1989 Erin-Warren District No. 2 School, photo submitted 1989 Erin-Warren District No. 2 School, photo submitted 1989 Erin-Warren District No. 2 School, photo submitted 1989
Click above images to enlarge

Erin-Warren Fractional District No. 2 Schoolhouse
15500Nine Mile Road, Eastpointe - Macomb County
Other Names Halfway Schoolhouse
Property Type schoolhouse
Historic Use EDUCATION
Current Use RECREATION AND CULTURE/museum
Style Italianate
Narrative Description The School District No. 2 Erin-Warren School is a simple massed plan front-gabled single story clapboard clad structure. The building is a symmetrical composition with a three-bay facade displaying a centered double door entry flanked by sash windows. The entry features a fanlight enframed in an elaborate arched hoodmold with scroll brackets, a device repeated on a reduced scale above each of the flanking arched facade windows. The wooden clapboards are trimmed with narrow corner boards that rise to a frieze. The louvered pyramid-roofed belfry is capped by a flag staff. The side elevations consist of four bays defined by windows identical to those of the facade. The rear elevation presents a small gabled annex built in 1987 to house lavatory facilities. The interior walls are plastered and wainscoted.
Statement of Significance The School District No. 2 School was erected in the village of Halfway (present-day East Detroit) in 1872, the last of three schools erected in the village, and is commonly referred to as Halfway school. A wing was added in 1901 and the school served Erin and Warren Townships until 1921, when it was sold to Kaiser Fuel and Supply, moved to the corner of Nine Mile and Gratiot, and used as a warehouse. The building remained virtually unaltered until it was donated to the East Detroit Historical Society in 1984, at which time it was returned to its original site and was restored to its 1872 appearance by the Halfway School Restoration Committee. The School district No. 2 School is a straightforward vernacular expression displaying allusions to more refined style in its door and window treatments. It is an excellent unaltered example of a one-room school and represents an important aspect of East Detroit's history.
Marker Name Erin-Warren Fractional District No. 2 School
Marker Text ERIN-WARREN FRACTIONAL DISTRICT NO. 2 SCHOOL This school served children in Erin and Warren Townships from 1872 to 1921. Beginning in 1838, German farmer Christian Gerlach held classes in his home. During the 1840s a log building served as a classroom. In 1850 a red frame school was built. In 1872 the red school was replaced with this structure. Popularly known as Halfway School, it was located in the village of Halfway, midway between Mount Clemens and Detroit. When the school closed in 1921, it was moved to the southeast corner of Nine Mile Road and Gratiot Avenue and used as a ware-house. The East Detroit Historical Society acquired the school in 1984, returning it to within one hundred feet of its original site and restoring its nineteenth century appearance.
Period of Significance 1866-1900
Significant Date(s) 1872
Registry Type(s) Marker erected
04/30/2001 National Register listed
01/16/1990 State Register listed
Site ID# P24055