The John Chambers House, photo submitted in 1982.
Click above images to enlarge

Chambers, John, House
90 North State Street, St. Ignace - Mackinac County
Other Names John Chambers House
Colonial House Hotel
Property Type frame house
Historic Use DOMESTIC/single dwelling
Current Use DOMESTIC/hotel
Style Colonial Revival
Narrative Description The Chambers House (Colonial Hotel) is located in a downtown commercial district in St. Ignace. The older or rear section, of the house, completed about 1870, is a two-story, rectangular frame structure with hipped roof and coarse stone rubble foundation. The front addition is a three-story, yellow-painted clapboard and fishscale shingle building with a two-story entry portico supported by four Doric wood columns which rest on a stone foundation. A vernacular rendition of the Colonial Revival style, the front addition was completed about 1910.
Statement of Significance The Chambers House has historic significance as the residence of the John Chambers family, one of the pioneer business families in the Straights of Mackinac community of St. Ignace. The house has architectural significance as a vernacular example of the Colonial Revival style of architecture fashioned by local builders. John Chambers Sr., a native of Ireland, arrive in Philadelphia in 1846, he and his family moved to St. Ignace about 1870 from Mackinac Island and constructed a two-story house for his family on State Street. Chambers' sons, John Jr., Patrick, and Michael, opened a small general store in St. Ignace which prospered. The brothers built the first dock at St. Ignace and then pooled their money to acquire large real estate holdings in the city. Michael Chambers rose to political prominence, serving as a State Representative and later Mayor of St. Ignace. Around 1910, Patrick and Michael built the Colonial Revival front addition to the family home on State Street, a reflection of the acknowledged prominence of the family in St. Ignace. In 1945, relatives sold the house to a retired Great Lakes captain who converted it to an inn from 1947 to 1978. The inn re-opened in May 1981 after extensive interior renovation.
Period of Significance 1866-1900
Significant Date(s) 1870, 1910
Registry Type(s) 04/22/1982 National Register listed
Site ID# P24028