Mission House, photo taken 1970
Click above images to enlarge

Mission House
East end of Huron Street, Mackinac Island - Mackinac County
Property Type mission
Historic Use RELIGION
Current Use GOVERNMENT
Style Other
Architect/Builder MARTIN HEYDENBURK
Significant Person Reverend William Montague Ferry
Narrative Description The Mission House is a simple, U-shaped structure comprised of a three-story rectangular center side-gable section flanked by two-story rectangular end gable wings. The entire building is of wood frame covered with clapboard siding. A single-story square porch topped by a hipped-roof fronts the center section facade.
Statement of Significance The Mission House is one of the earliest buildings constructed on Mackinac Island and is associated with the Mission Church, the oldest surviving church structure in Michigan. The building was constructed in 1825 by Martin Heydenburk under the direction of Presbyterian minister William Montague Ferry to board students and families with the Mission Church until 1837. In 1845 Edward A. Franks bought the building and converted it into a hotel, which was owned by the Franks family until it the 1940s. Soon afterward the Moral Re-armament Movement briefly used the building as its boarding house. From the mid to the late 1960s the Mission House was used by Mackinac College as a student union. The Mission House is currently restored and used to house summer employees of the Mackinac Island State Park.
Marker Name Mission House
Marker Text MISSION HOUSE In 1823 the Reverend William Ferry founded a mission on Mackinac Island on land now known as Mission Point. Two years later he and his wife, Amanda, erected this building as a boarding school for Indian children. In 1827, 112 students attended the school. The majority of the resident pupils were metis, children of Indian and Euro-American parents. The mission closed in 1837. In 1849 Edward A. Franks opened the Mission House Hotel after adding a third story to the structure. The Franks family operated the hotel until 1939 when it was sold and converted to a rooming house. In 1946 Miles and Margaret Phillimore bought the property, which provided a base for the Moral Re-Armament movement. Around 1971 the Cathedral of Tomorrow purchased the site. Six years later the Mission House became part of the Mackinac Island State Park.
Period of Significance 1600-1825
Significant Date(s) 1825
Registry Type(s) 07/27/1993 Marker erected
04/16/1971 National Register listed
11/06/1970 State Register listed
Site ID# P24019