Mathew Geary House, photo submitted 1976
Click above images to enlarge

Geary, Mathew, House
Market Street, Mackinac Island - Mackinac County
Property Type frame house
Historic Use DOMESTIC
Current Use WORK IN PROGRESS
Style Other
Architect/Builder Mathew Geary
Narrative Description The Mathew Geary House is a simple, rectangular side-gable frame house covered in clapboard siding, standing on a raised brick foundation with a cedar-shingled roof featuring cornice returns. The entrance facade is fronted by a two-story porch with pierced and basket-weave woodwork on the balustrades. A two-story rear wing and a side sun porch were later additions to the house.
Statement of Significance The Geary House is a well-preserved example of middle-class architecture and one of the earliest cottages on historic Mackinac Island. The house has undergone only minor alterations and maintains a high degree of historical integrity. Mackinac Village trustee Mathew Geary bought the land from John Jacob Astor's American Fur Company and constructed the house in approximately 1850, long before Mackinac Island became a resort area. The house remained in the Geary family until 1968 when it was sold to the Mackinac Island State Park Commission and restored later that year. The house remains in good condition and continues to remind visitors of an early way of life on Mackinac Island.
Period of Significance 1826-1865
Significant Date(s) 1845
Registry Type(s) 05/06/1971 National Register listed
02/11/1970 State Register listed
Site ID# P24009