Fort Holmes Informational Site
Fort Holmes Road, north of the business district, Mackinac Island - Mackinac County
Marker Name Fort Holmes
Marker Text FORT HOLMES Here in 1812, on the island's highest point, a blockhouse and stockade were built by the British and named Fort George. It was the bulwark of British defenses in 1814 when the American attack was repulsed. After the war the Americans renamed the post in honor of Major Holmes, who was killed during the American assault in 1814. The fort was not maintained by the Americans, however. The present blockhouse is not the original building.
Period of Significance 1812-1815
Significant Date(s) 1812
Registry Type(s) 05/29/1959 Marker erected
09/25/1956 State Register listed
Site ID# P24007