The David Carpenter House, photo submitted c. 1979
Click above images to enlarge

Carpenter, David, House
424 West Adrian Street, Blissfield - Lenawee County
Other Names Hathaway House
Property Type frame house
Historic Use DOMESTIC
Current Use COMMERCE/TRADE/restaurant
Style Greek Revival
Significant Person David Carpenter
Narrative Description The David Carpenter House (Hathaway House) is a rectangular, two-story, Greek Revival structure with a central front-gable flanked by two-story, flank-gable wings on either side, and clad in flush horizontal and clapboard siding. A full-height tetrastyle, fluted Doric portico supporting a triangular pediment fronts the entrance facade. The facade of one wing features a subsidiary single-story Tuscan portico. The opposite wing has a large bay window and porch.
Statement of Significance The David Carpenter House is an unusually large Greek Revival house and is Ssgnificant for its association with one of Blissfield's earliest residents and business owners. Built in approximately 1851 for merchant and land speculator David Carpenter, the house has undergone some changes since construction. The two wings were originally plain, single-story structures and the interior has been significantly altered. Purchased in the early 1900s by the Hathaway family, the house has been maintained by the Weeber family since 1960 as the Hathaway House restaurant.
Marker Name Carpenter House
Marker Text CARPENTER HOUSE This Greek Revival mansion was built in 1851 for David Carpenter, one of Lenawee County's most prominent early residents. Born in New York State, he moved to Blissfield in 1838, and became a wealthy farmer and merchant. After his death in 1891, the house served as a private residence until 1960, when it became a restaurant. The building's only major exterior alteration has been the addition of second story wings and porches.
Period of Significance 1826-1865
Significant Date(s) 1851
Registry Type(s) 04/10/1975 Marker erected
11/20/1979 National Register listed
08/13/1971 State Register listed
Site ID# P23953