Pennington/Ford House, photo taken 1973
Click above images to enlarge

Pennington, John, - Ford, Henry, House
8281 Clinton Macon Road, Macon - Lenawee County
Other Names Banks, John, House
Property Type frame house
Historic Use DOMESTIC
Current Use DOMESTIC
Style Greek Revival
Architect/Builder Henry Ford
Significant Person Henry Ford
Narrative Description The John Pennington-Henry Ford House is a rectangular, two-story, front-gable Greek Revival frame farmhouse flanked by single-story side-gable wings. The entrance facade features a square columned tetrastyle portico in antis. The exterior walls are covered with the original narrow wood siding and much of the interior oak and walnut woodwork remains intact.
Statement of Significance The Pennington House is historically significant for its association with both the community's pioneer founders and Henry Ford of Detroit. Pioneer farmers John and Hannah Pennington built this house (to replace their previous log house--the first dwelling in Macon) in approximately the 1840s. During the 1930s auto baron Henry Ford lived in and restored Pennington House while Quirk Farms, acting on his behalf, purchased the surrounding farmland in order to conduct experiments on soy products.
Period of Significance 1826-1865
Significant Date(s) 1845
Registry Type(s) 12/31/1974 National Register listed
09/17/1974 State Register listed
Site ID# P23940