Davenport House, photo submitted in 1981
Click above images to enlarge

Davenport House
1280 US-12 (at Evans Lake), east of Walter J. Hayes State Park, Tipton vicinity - Lenawee County
Other Names Bauer Manor
Property Type hotel
Historic Use DOMESTIC/hotel
Current Use DOMESTIC/hotel
Style Other
Narrative Description This broad-fronted, hip-roof structure with its two-story verandah was originally known as the Davenport House and served as an inn on the Chicago Road. Standing on the site of a log tavern built in the 1830s by Henry W. Sisson (1801-1881), it was constructed at an unknown date for John Davenport, who owned the property from 1839 to 1864. A later proprietor was Henry Lancaster (1829-1900), who owned it from 1864 to 1884. Now known as Bauer Manor, the structure has been continuously operated as an inn since its opening.
Marker Name Davenport House
Marker Text DAVENPORT HOUSE In 1834, Henry W. Sisson of New York settled here and built a log tavern, located on Evans Lake where the Chicago Road enters the Irish Hills. The tavern was purchased in 1839 by John Davenport, who owned the property until 1864. During this time the present building was constructed. Known as Lancaster House from 1864 to 1884, the building was later to serve as a general store and post office. As late as 1900 stagecoaches stopped here regularly.
Period of Significance 1826-1865
Significant Date(s) 1839-1864
Registry Type(s) 06/28/1971 Marker erected
05/18/1971 State Register listed
Site ID# P23938