Nathaniel S. Wheeler House, photo taken 1974
Click above images to enlarge

Wheeler, Nathaniel S., House
7075 M-50, North of Onsted, Onsted - Lenawee County
Property Type stone house
Historic Use DOMESTIC
Current Use WORK IN PROGRESS
Style Greek Revival
Narrative Description The Nathaniel S. Wheeler House is a rectangular two-and-one-half-story front-gable Greek Revival structure with a recessed one-and-one-half-story side-gable wing. The facade walls are built of coursed cobblestones laid in rows over fieldstone and all other walls are of multi-colored randomly placed stone with etched stone quoins. The entrance facade features a two-columned Doric portico in antis to one side and the wing has both front and rear porches.
Statement of Significance The Wheeler House is historically significant as the home of one of the earliest Cambridge Township settlers and is an outstanding example of cobblestone architecture. Pioneer settler Nathaniel S. Wheeler, originally from New York where this expression of late Greek Revival architecture originated, built his home in approximately the 1840s. Cobblestone construction allowed farmers like the Wheelers to build attractive, fireproof and inexpensive homes of material cleared from their fields. Through a succession of owners the house was changed relatively little and was restored in 1973.
Period of Significance 1826-1865
Significant Date(s) 1845
Registry Type(s) 02/24/1975 National Register listed
07/26/1974 State Register listed
Site ID# P23936