Tecumseh Historic District, photo submitted in 1984. Tecumseh Historic District, photo submitted in 1984.
Click above images to enlarge

Tecumseh Historic District
West Chicago Boulevard and Union Street, Tecumseh - Lenawee County
Other Names West Chicago Boulevard - Union Street Historic District
Property Type residential district
Historic Use DOMESTIC
GOVERNMENT
RELIGION/religious facility
Current Use DOMESTIC
Style Greek Revival
Italianate
Narrative Description The Tecumseh Historic District is a residential district which encompasses many of the most architecturally and historically significant homes in Tecumseh dating from the 1830s through the early twentieth century and located primarily along two major axes-- West Chicago Boulevard and Union Street. The district contains eighty-two houses, three churches, a former school, and a former public library building. Notable Greek Revival and Italianate houses dominate the district, and later nineteenth and early twentieth-century structures add significantly to tis character reflecting Tecumseh's residential development and changes in architectural taste.
Statement of Significance The Tecumseh Historic District is significant for its high concentration of architecturally notable homes, churches, and public buildings dating from the 1830s to about 1900 which reflect nearly a century of Tecumseh's development. At the time of its founding in 1824, Tecumseh was among the farthest inland of settlements in the Michigan Territory. The area encompassed by the West Chicago Boulevard-Union Street Tecumseh Historic District was developed after th e Tecumseh community had achieved some degree of economic stability in the late 1820s and early 1830s. The earliest surviving structures in the district are Greek Revival in style. The district includes the former West Branch School built in 1886 and the former Carnegie Library built in 1904 in a handsome Neo-Classical style.
Period of Significance 1800-1899
1900-
Significant Date(s) 1830s-1920
Registry Type(s) 09/13/1984 National Register listed
Site ID# P23926