St. Elizabeth
Click above images to enlarge

Saint Elizabeth's Church
302 East Chicago Boulevard, Tecumseh - Lenawee County
Other Names Old Stone Church
Property Type church
Historic Use RELIGION/religious facility
Current Use RECREATION AND CULTURE/museum
Style Gothic
Architect/Builder Edwin A. Fisher
Narrative Description St. Elizabeth's Church is a Gothic-style church built of locally gathered fieldstone veneer over a wood frame (except for the rear wall, which is cement block). The church has a simple, gable roof and a symmetrical facade with a centrally positioned, partly projecting, square tower with crenellated parapet. The roof is red clay tile. A large stained glass window flanks the tower on either side. Simple buttresses separate the five stained glass windows on each of the side facades. The interior has been much altered over the years, but retains much of its original Craftsman, oak detailing and is being restored for use as a historical museum.
Statement of Significance St. Elizabeth's is significant as the first Catholic church in Tecumseh, apparently designed by the parish priest and built of fieldstone gathered by the parishioners. The church is important in architectural terms for Tecumseh as a particularly handsome example of early twentieth-century, vernacular, church architecture. The church was constructed in 1913 amid controversy in strongly Protestant Tecumseh. The parish outgrew the structure by the 1940s and a new Catholic church was built in 1951. The stone church was then used by the Church of Christ and later as a stained glass studio. In 1982, the City of Tecumseh purchased the church and restored it for the Historical Society of Tecumseh under the direction of Ann Arbor architect Malcolm L. Collins.
Period of Significance 1901-1930
Significant Date(s) Built 1913
Registry Type(s) 08/13/1986 National Register listed
05/08/1986 State Register listed
Site ID# P23922