George J. Kempf House, photo submitted in 1986.
Click above images to enlarge

Kempf, George J., House
212 East Kilbuck Street, Tecumseh - Lenawee County
Other Names George J. Kempf House
Property Type frame house
Historic Use DOMESTIC/single dwelling
Current Use DOMESTIC/single dwelling
Style Colonial Revival
Late Victorian
Queen Anne
Architect/Builder GEORGE KEMPF
Narrative Description Constructed in 1905, the George Kempf House is a broad and low, two-story, clapboard-sided, irregular-plan, Queen Anne/Colonial Revival dwelling with a high hipped roof with subsidiary gables. The front exhibits three dormers possessing return cornices trimmed in vergeboard. The large central dormer contains two windows and a triangular sunburst in the front gable peak, while the smaller dormers on either side echo the decorative elements of the large dormer. A large porch with a latticework base, Tuscan columns, and turned baluster railings screens the entire front.
Statement of Significance The Kempf House is significant in the local context as the town's best exemplification of hybrid Queen Anne/Colonial Revival design characteristics of the turn-of-the-century period. Its decorative vergeboards and sunbursts, turned-post side porch, and high-roofed, asymmetrical design, the house looks back to Queen Anne, while in its broad, formal facade and Colonial front porch it reflects the Colonial Revival designs more frequently seen elsewhere in Michigan. The house is also notable as the home of local master carpenter George J. Kempf who, with his brother, Henry Kempf, built many local homes.
Period of Significance 1900-
Significant Date(s) Built 1905
Registry Type(s) 08/13/1986 National Register listed
Site ID# P23921