William Hayden House, photo submitted in 1986.
Click above images to enlarge

Hayden, William, House
108 West Pottawatamie Street, Tecumseh - Lenawee County
Other Names William Hayden House
Property Type brick house
Historic Use DOMESTIC/single dwelling
Current Use DOMESTIC/multiple dwelling
Style Italianate
Narrative Description The Hayden House is a two-story, red brick, Italianate villa built about 1860. Consisting of a cubical main section and slightly recessed wing extending sideways-- both with low pitched hip roofs-- this large residence has widely projecting eaves with supporting brackets. The front facade and one side facade each have centrally positioned gables. The main, five-bay facade has one- and two-over-two windows that have arched and winged caps. The front porch is a large bracketed stoop supported by posts, and a simpler porch is attached to the west side.
Statement of Significance The Hayden House possesses importance to Tecumseh as the former home of William Hayden, long time owner of the Globe Flour Mill, one of Tecumseh's leading commercial enterprises in the second half of the nineteenth century, and as a major Tecumseh example of Italianate residential design. William Hayden settled in Tecumseh about 1857 and purchased the Globe Flour Mill. Under Hayden's management, the mill became a large and thriving enterprise, shipping flour to the east and to Ireland. When the mill burned in 1898, it was so important to the local economy that local citizens subscribed the funds to rebuild. In its basically cubical form and brick construction, the Hayden House is similar to a number of other Tecumseh residences. The house stands out by virtue of its unusually elaborate (for Tecumseh) and intact detailing.
Period of Significance 1800-1899
Significant Date(s) Built 1862
Registry Type(s) 08/13/1986 National Register listed
Site ID# P23920