Musgrove Evans House, photo submitted 1976
Click above images to enlarge

Evans, Musgrove, House
409-411 E. Logan Street, NE corner of Maumee Street, Tecumseh - Lenawee County
Property Type frame house
Historic Use DOMESTIC
Current Use DOMESTIC
Style Federal
Architect/Builder Page and Tilton
Significant Person Musgrove Evans
Narrative Description The Musgrove Evans House is a rectangular two-story, side-gabled, Federal frame house standing on a stone foundation, measuring five bays wide with an attached single-story rear ell. The walls are covered with clapboard siding and the centrally located entrance features a fan light. The early American simplicity of the house is emphasized by symmetrical fenestration.
Statement of Significance The Musgrove Evans House is the oldest residence in Lenawee County and one of the oldest in the state. Surveyor Musgrove Evans platted the village of Tecumseh in 1824 and later hired local carpenters Page and Tilton to build this, Tecumseh's first frame residence and inn, in 1826. Peter R. Adams bought the house in 1858, and his daughter sold the Evans house in 1886 when it was moved to its present location and converted into apartments. Despite changes to the interior, most alterations have been minor and the exterior retains much of its historical integrity.
Marker Name Evans House
Marker Text EVANS HOUSE Musgrove Evans built this dwelling in 1826. It is the oldest frame house in Tecumseh and believed to be the oldest still standing in Lenawee County. Evans was a pioneer settler in this area. He platted the village of Tecumseh, served as its first postmaster and probate judge, and helped to organize Michigan's first temperance society. Used as an inn and home, the Evans House was moved to this location in 1886 from the northeast corner of Ottawa Street and Chicago Boulevard. However, its appearance has changed little over the years.
Period of Significance 1826-1865
Significant Date(s) 1826
Registry Type(s) 01/31/1980 Marker erected
03/16/1972 National Register listed
10/29/1971 State Register listed
Site ID# P23918