Dr. Samuel Catlin House, photo submitted in 1986.
Click above images to enlarge

Catlin, Dr. Samuel, House
213 East Chicago Boulevard, Tecumseh - Lenawee County
Other Names Dr. Samuel Catlin House
Property Type brick house
Historic Use DOMESTIC/single dwelling
Current Use COMMERCE/TRADE/business
Style Italianate
Architect/Builder Salmon Crane
Narrative Description A fine hip-roof, Italianate structure, the Dr. Samuel Catlin House is a two-story, red brick cube with a slightly set-back side wing. Its eaves display paired, acorn-pendent brackets. The house has long, narrow windows with segmental-arch caps and a broad, arched entrance with paneled double doors.
Statement of Significance The Catlin House is significant as a notable example of Italianate residential design in Tecumseh and as a well documented example of the work of Salmon Crane. Crane, a local builder who constructed many buildings in the commercial district, several churches, and many residences within Tecumseh, provided the plans of this house and built the structure between 1866 and 1867. After completion, the house was the residence and office of Samuel and Rebecca Catlin. Dr. Catlin arrived in Tecumseh in 1856 after receiving his medical degree from Yale. The Catlins resided here until 1881, and sold the property to George and Adeline Tiffany, who lived here for thirty years. George Tiffany was an inventor and writer for "Clay Workers Magazine."
Period of Significance 1800-1899
Significant Date(s) Built 1866-67
Registry Type(s) 08/13/1986 National Register listed
Site ID# P23917