Hudson Downtown Historic District, photo taken 1973
Click above images to enlarge

Hudson Downtown Historic District
West Main Street between Howard and Market streets, and Church Street between Seward and Railroad streets, Hudson - Lenawee County
Property Type district
Historic Use COMMERCE/TRADE
Current Use COMMERCE/TRADE
Style Mixed
Narrative Description The Hudson Downtown Historic District, the commercial center of the city, is oriented along West Main Street between Howard and Market Streets, and Church Street, between Seward and Railroad Streets. Fifty architecturally significant structures comprise the district including highly individualized brick and frame commercial blocks designed by local masons, ornamented with cast iron, stone, and sheet metal fronts, many featuring columns, elaborate moldings and other decorative architectural elements.
Statement of Significance Hudson's Downtown Historic District is significant as a well-preserved example of nineteenth century Midwestern commercial architecture, tracing the history of the area through decorative, well maintained structures, most built with locally fired bricks. Hudson became the key trading center for the surrounding area between 1854 and 1891 as local merchants benefitted from the arrival of the railroad in approximately 1837 and Hudson's location near the Tiffin River. After devastating fires destroyed most of the original wooden structures in 1858, Hudson's merchants rebuilt their businesses using architectural pattern books, many of the masons using materials from local inventor Joseph McKenzie's patented brick making machine. Though recent alterations have changed many of the ground-level storefronts, the buildings retain most of their historical integrity.
Period of Significance 1854-1891
Significant Date(s) c. 1837, 1858
Registry Type(s) 12/24/1974 National Register listed
01/21/1974 State Register listed
Site ID# P23910