Leonard Hall House, photo taken 1976
Click above images to enlarge

Hall, Dr. Leonard, House
334 West Main Street, Hudson - Lenawee County
Property Type frame house
Historic Use DOMESTIC
Current Use DOMESTIC
Style Gothic Revival
Narrative Description The Leonard Hall House is a one-and-one-half-story, L-plan, Gothic Revival house covered in vertical board-and-batten and topped by a steeply pitched gable roof broken by a flat-roof dormer. The front-gable facade features an asymmetrically placed rectangular porch with pierced woodwork supports and topped by a smaller gable-and-hip-roof. Scalloped and arrow-pointed gingerbread bargeboards accent the eaves, and decorative trusses in both the front and side gables ornament the house.
Statement of Significance The Leonard Hall House is a distinctive and remarkably well preserved example of Gothic Revival architecture and was associated with the same pioneer family for three generations. The Hall House, modest in size yet well crafted, represents domestic architecture typical of moderately wealthy American pioneers. A successful physician and community organizer, Dr. Hall built his house around 1847 after establishing his medical practice in Hudson. Leonard's son, Henry served as a town councilman and mayor. One of the earliest houses in town, its ownership has been passed to two subsequent generations of Halls in almost entirely original condition.
Period of Significance 1826-1865
Significant Date(s) 1847
Registry Type(s) 10/02/1978 National Register listed
04/04/1978 State Register listed
Site ID# P23909