Heman R. Goodrich House, photo submitted in 1991.
Click above images to enlarge

Goodrich, Heman R., House
428 Church Street South, Hudson - Lenawee County
Other Names Heman R. Goodrich House
Property Type brick house
Historic Use DOMESTIC/single dwelling
Current Use DOMESTIC/single dwelling
Style Octagon Mode
Other
Narrative Description The Goodrich House is a brick-wall, two-story building with an octagon ground plan. Each facade is fifteen feet in length. The house stands on its original site at the corner of Church and Pleasant streets in Hudson. The hip roof has broad eaves decorated with simple scroll brackets. The house stands on a fieldstone foundation with brick piers at the angles. The octagon main section is of hollow-wall, brick construction; bricks at the wall angles are angle-cut to form smooth corners with no projections. Both the original octagonal section and the rectangular, one-story, brick appendage, added at an unknown date, have roofs finished in diamond-pattern asphalt shingling.
Statement of Significance The Goodrich House is the Hudson, Michigan area's only house exemplifying a nineteenth-century nationwide fad for octagon houses popularized by Orson S. Fowler's "A Home For All." In his book, Fowler advocated the octagon form as ideal for all buildings in providing the most space for the length of surrounding wall. Heman Goodrich arrive in Hudson with his parents in 1836 and was among the areas pioneer settlers. In 1854, he married Almira Carleton and settled on an eight-acre parcel on Hudson's south side which he platted as Goodrich's Addition. Local tax records suggest his octagon house was constructed in about 1861 or 1862.
Period of Significance 1826-1865
Significant Date(s) 1862
Registry Type(s) 01/22/1992 National Register listed
Site ID# P23908