St. Mary of Good Counsel Catholic Church, photo submitted in 1983.
Click above images to enlarge

Saint Mary of Good Counsel Catholic Church
320 Division Street, Adrian - Lenawee County
Other Names St. Mary's Catholic Church
Property Type church
Historic Use RELIGION/religious facility
Current Use RELIGION/religious facility
Style Romanesque
Architect/Builder Gordon W. Lloyd
Narrative Description St. Mary of Good Counsel Catholic Church is a cruciform, stone-trimmed, red-orange brick structure of Italian Romanesque inspiration with a partly projecting, centrally positioned, square, pyramid-roof bell tower. The foundations are of coursed sandstone on the exterior and rubble masonry where they are not visible. The cornices are of wood painted white and the buttress cappings and window sills and cap moldings are of sandstone. The church's three front entrances are capped by round-headed, recessed panels with applied wood detailing in relief. Over the central door is depicted a pontifical emblem with papal crown, flags, and keys, while the panels over the doors on either side feature the Great Seals of Michigan and the United States.
Statement of Significance St. Mary's Church is significant as the home of Adrian's oldest Catholic congregation. The Romanesque church is also important as a landmark of nineteenth-century, Catholic church architecture in Michigan, and as a major work of Detroit architect Gordon W. Lloyd, one of Michigan's most prominent nineteenth-century architects and a specialist in ecclesiastical design. Adrian's first Catholic church was constructed in 1852, but quickly outgrown. The site of the present church was purchased in 1864 and the church dedicated in 1871. St. Mary's Church in Adrian is one of only a few known Romanesque-style work of church architect Gordon Lloyd who designed many churches in Michigan as well as structures in Buffalo, Cleveland, and Milwaukee. St. Mary's Church continues to be the home of the Adrian Catholic community.
Period of Significance 1866-1900
Significant Date(s) 1869, 1871
Registry Type(s) 02/24/1983 National Register listed
Site ID# P23902