Governor Charles Croswell House, photo dated 1969
Click above images to enlarge

Croswell, Gov. Charles, House
228 North Broad Street, Adrian - Lenawee County
Other Names Governor Charles Croswell House
Property Type brick house
Historic Use DOMESTIC
Current Use RECREATION AND CULTURE
Style Greek Revival
Architect/Builder DANIEL HICKS
Significant Person Charles M. Croswell
Narrative Description Governor Charles Croswell's former residence is a brick-wall Greek Revival upright-and-wing building. It has a rectangular, one-and-one-half-story front-gable main section with cornice returns and a recessed one-story hip-roof side extension. A single-story extension is attached to the rear. The front-gable section features a single-story tetrastyle portico with square pillars. A similar portico fronts the wing.
Statement of Significance The Croswell House is the structure most closely associated with Charles M. Croswell, Michigan's governor from 1877-1881. Trained as a lawyer, Croswell later held several county and state political positions culminating with his four-year term as governor. During his term as state legislator he drafted the act by which Michigan ratified the Thirteenth Amendment to the Constitution. Croswell's uncle Daniel Hicks, a carpenter, built the house in the 1840s and Croswell purchased it from Hick's estate in the early 1850s. The governor's widow, Elizabeth Merrill, donated the house to the Lucy Wolcott Barnum Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution in 1925. The chapter currently maintains the house as a museum.
Period of Significance 1840-1925
Significant Date(s) 1845, 1877, 1881
Registry Type(s) 03/16/1972 National Register listed
02/19/1958 State Register listed
Site ID# P23891