Adrian Public Library, photo submitted 1977
Click above images to enlarge

Adrian Public Library
110 East Church Street, Adrian - Lenawee County
Property Type library
Historic Use EDUCATION
Current Use EDUCATION
Style Mission/Spanish Colonial Revival
Romanesque
Architect/Builder C. F. Matthes
PAUL O. MORATZ
Narrative Description The Adrian Public Library is a basically rectangular, two-and-one-half-story, tan-colored brick building blending Richardsonian Romanesque and Mission/Spanish Colonial Revival elements. The building faces to the west and the centrally placed entrance features a rusticated stone pier arch framing a beveled fanlight, flanked to the north by a six-sided tower and to the south by a mission-style parapet. A large rounded tower dominates the northwest corner of the building. Red stone stringcourses and rounded window hoods ornament the buff colored walls.
Statement of Significance Adrian's Public Library is significant both for its famous patron and its role in community life. Partially financed by Andrew Carnegie, the Adrian Public Library was designed by Illinois architect Paul O. Moratz and completed by local contractor C. F. Matthes in 1909. The building is an important bridge between two historic districts and its impressive architecture has made it a focal point of the community. Since its construction, the building has housed most of the city's cultural resources including the library, an art gallery, and lecture auditorium. It currently houses the Lenawee County Historical Museum.
Period of Significance 1901-1930
Significant Date(s) 1909
Registry Type(s) 12/06/1977 National Register listed
12/14/1976 State Register listed
Site ID# P23885