Bingham District No. 5 Schoolhouse
Click above images to enlarge

Bingham District No. 5 Schoolhouse
Southeast corner of Bingham Road (County Road 618) and County Road 633, Bingham Township - Leelanau County
Other Names Bingham School District No. 1 Schoolhouse
Property Type schoolhouse
Historic Use EDUCATION/school
Current Use GOVERNMENT
Style Other
Narrative Description The Bingham Schoolhouse #5 is a one-story, two-room, clapboard-sided, vernacular buildings consisting of two attached main sections standing one behind the other. Each block is two bays wide by three bays deep, with several smaller projecting gable roofed entrances. The interior has been moderately altered and adapted for present day use as a community center
Statement of Significance The Bingham School is a well preserved representative example of a district school in rural Leelanau County in the later part of the nineteenth century. It is one of only a few surviving buildings associated with the once thriving sawmill village of Bingham. The founding, rise, and decline of the village of Bingham followed the fortunes of the lumber industry in Leelanau County. The school building was constructed about 1877 to replace the first log building constructed by 1870. The schoolhouse, containing grades one through eight, remained in use until the consolidation movement following World War II. The Bingham School then continued to serve the community and functioned as a town hall. Today, the school has been adapted into a township community meeting center.
Marker Name Bingham District No. 5 Schoolhouse
Marker Text BINGHAM DISTRICT NO. 5 SCHOOLHOUSE This school was erected in 1877 to replace a log structure built in 1870. The school has two rooms that housed grades one through eight. Older children attended school in Suttons Bay or Traverse City. Sunday school classes met here until 1888 when an Evangelical church was built across the road. Bingham prospered during the lumber boom of the 1870s and 1880s. By 1910 area timber was depleted, and Bingham's population declined. This building served as a school until after World War II. It has been used as the township hall for many years. In 1987 the school was restored to its original appearance and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Period of Significance 1877-1911
Significant Date(s) 1888
Registry Type(s) 01/13/1993 Marker erected
07/31/1991 National Register listed
10/23/1987 State Register listed
Site ID# P23855