Pioneer State Bank No. 36, photo submitted in 1982. Pioneer State Bank No. 36, photo submitted in 1982.
Click above images to enlarge

Pioneer State Bank No. 36
4046 Huron Street, North Branch - Lapeer County
Other Names Pioneer Bank
Property Type brick building
Historic Use COMMERCE/TRADE/financial institution
Current Use COMMERCE/TRADE/financial institution
Style Renaissance
Architect/Builder CLARK AND MUNGER
DILLON P. CLARK
Narrative Description The Pioneer State Bank Building is a rectangular, brick, two-story, three bay building designed in a vernacular interpretation of Second Renaissance Revival styling. The Bay City architectural firm of Dillon P. Clark and Alverton G. Munger provided the plans for the structure. While simple in overall design, the Pioneer Bank features a rusticated first floor level, and elaborate door enframement highlighted by anthemions, brick quoins at the facade intersections, and an ornately dentilated brick corniceline. Except for replacement of its front display window and entry door, the building's exterior remains intact.
Statement of Significance The Pioneer Bank, completed in 1906, stands as the oldest banking institution in the Village of North Branch. Because the bank's establishment was a direct result of lumber industry expansion into northern Lapeer County during the last quarter of the nineteenth century, the building is associated with an event significant to the history of both North Branch and Lapeer County. Frederick C. Ballard, a prominent local investor and financier, helped establish and expand the Pioneer Bank. Ballard was heavily involved in local lumber operations. He and several partners established the bank in 1889. Frederick's son, Charles W. Ballard, commissioned the design and construction of the bank's building, a fine vernacular interpretation of Second Renaissance Revival styling by the regionally prominent architectural firm of Clark and Munger.
Marker Name Pioneer Bank
Marker Text PIONEER BANK Pioneer Bank was founded in 1885 as a state bank, and reorganized in 1889. President Frederick Howard, Vice President Albert Sholes and Cashier Charles W. Ballard were bank officers. In 1903 this lot was purchased from Sholes, and soon after the board selected Bay City architects Clark & Munger to design new offices. A bank was partially constructed, but it burned before completion. The present classical-inspired structure replaced the original and opened in 1906. In 1982 the bank was listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Period of Significance 1900-
Significant Date(s) 1905-1906
Registry Type(s) 06/25/1991 Marker erected
04/22/1982 National Register listed
10/23/1979 State Register listed
Site ID# P23854