The West St. Clair Street Historic District, photos c. 1986 The West St. Clair Street Historic District, photos c. 1986
Click above images to enlarge

West Saint Clair Street Historic District
124-328 West Saint Clair Street, Almont - Lapeer County
Property Type residential district
Historic Use DOMESTIC
Current Use DOMESTIC
Style Bungalow/Craftsman
Gothic Revival
Greek Revival
Italianate
Late Victorian
Queen Anne
Narrative Description The West St. Clair Street Historic District contains sixteen buildings, the majority of them houses, located along West St. Clair Street in the Village of Almont. The houses, generally one- to two-story, frame structures, exemplify Greek and Gothic Revival, Italianate, Queen Anne, and bungalow designs both modest and not so modest in scale. The architectural styles and house forms present in the district are highly representative of those found in rural towns in the early settled areas of southern and southeastern Michigan.
Statement of Significance The West St. Clair Street Historic District is significant for its association with the lives of prominent nineteenth-century Almont businessmen who lived along it and for its houses which, in the broad range of styles and house forms present, typify nineteenth-century rural housing in Lapeer County and southern and southeastern Michigan. Residents included local banker Uriel Townsend and many of the town's prominent merchants.
Period of Significance 1826-1865
Registry Type(s) 05/08/1986 National Register listed
Site ID# P23844