Hadley Flour and Feed Mill, photo taken 1986.
Click above images to enlarge

Hadley Flour and Feed Mill
3633 Hadley Road, Hadley - Lapeer County
Other Names Hadley Mill
Property Type frame building
Historic Use INDUSTRY/PROCESSING/EXTRACTION/manufacturing facility
Current Use COMMERCE/TRADE/business
Style Other
Narrative Description The Hadley Flour and Feed Mill is a two-and-one-half-story, wood-framed and clapboard-sheathed building with a balanced fenestration of entry doors and multi-pane sash, a gable roof with eavesline to the street, and a full basement constructed of fieldstone. Now, as almost always, the building is painted red with white trim. Along one entire facade runs the original, but frequently repaired, covered loading dock. The single-story, wood office extension is probably original to the Mill, but several times enlarged and altered. Another single-story, wood sheathed extension, original to the building and used to house the Mill's cider press, stands along the building. Once standing on wood stilts that suspended its floor above the lower millpond's water, this extension has been rebuilt and its open basement area inclosed. The greatest change to the Hadley Mill stems from the removal of its ponds, dam, flume, and races. These lost features reflect the milling industry's twentieth century conversion to gasoline and electric power. On the interior, the office has been updated for modern office use and the cider press room is an apartment. Plans for the main portion of the Mill remain undefined as of 1986.
Statement of Significance The Hadley Flour and Feed Mill is one of a fast-disappearing group of water-powered grist mills that includes perhaps as few as sixty examples in the state. Constructed in 1874, the facility was originally powered by a somewhat unusual, side-shot water wheel. The significance of the Hadley Mill is primarily its reflection of an early industry associated with the establishment, growth, and, finally, the demise of agriculture-- specifically grain cultivation-- in Lapeer County. It also reflects advancements in milling technology that kept pace with contemporary agricultural advancements.
Period of Significance 1866-1900
Significant Date(s) Built 1874
Registry Type(s) 09/25/1986 National Register listed
Site ID# P23838