Piety Hill Historic District, photo submitted in 1985. Piety Hill Historic District, photo submitted in 1985. Piety Hill Historic District, photo submitted in 1985.
Click above images to enlarge

Piety Hill Historic District
Roughly bounded by Park, Calhoun, Nepessing, Cramton and Main, Lapeer - Lapeer County
Property Type church
district
Historic Use DOMESTIC/single dwelling
EDUCATION/library
GOVERNMENT/city hall
GOVERNMENT/fire station
RELIGION
Current Use DOMESTIC/single dwelling
EDUCATION/library
GOVERNMENT/city hall
RELIGION
Style Greek Revival
Late Victorian
Narrative Description The Piety Hill Historic District is an irregularly shaped district located on Calhoun, Monroe, Madison, Washington, Main, Park, Liberty, Church, and Nepessing Streets in the City of Lapeer. The structures included in the district are largely nineteenth-century single family dwellings; one-sixth of the buildings are churches, however. A significant number of the houses are Greek Revival in style, dating from the 1830s through the 1850s. Italianate, Queen Anne, Second Empire, and turn-of-the-century transitional styles can also be seen. A Georgian-style post office built in 1932 is the last in the district's continuum of styles.
Statement of Significance The Piety Hill Historic District derives its significance from its residential, religious, and governmental architecture dating from the 1830s to the 1930s, its homes and places of worship associated with noteworthy citizens of Lapeer, and its reflection of events that resulted in the development of the city. Piety Hill lies within Whitesville, a settlement platted and registered by enoch Jay White in 1833, and includes some of the homes originally clustered around Eagle Tavern constructed by White in 1836. In the later part of the nineteenth-century, after the rival settlements of Lapeer and Whitesville were joined, the five churches of Piety Hill served as focal points for residential development in the northwest quarter, or Ward Two, of town. The construction dates of the five existing churches built of stone and brick range from 1881 to 1911, with three dating from the 1896 to 1898 period. These contrast pleasantly with the district's frame houses built by the growing community's merchants, politicians, and industrialists. The two-story, Italianate-styled brick Engine House and City Hall dating from 1882 to 1883, was built, diplomatically, on the dividing edge of the rival settlement plats. Later a Georgian Revival-styled library dating from 1923 and a similarly styled post office constructed during the depression, continued this buffer and marked the end of the development within the residential district.
Period of Significance 1800-1899
Registry Type(s) 07/26/1985 National Register listed
Site ID# P23826