Central Mining District, photo submitted 1970
Click above images to enlarge

Central Mine Historic District
Keweenaw Point on US-41, 3.5 miles east of Phoenix, Central - Keweenaw County
Property Type mining town
Historic Use DOMESTIC
Current Use VACANT/NOT IN USE
Style Mixed
Architect/Builder Central Mining Company
Narrative Description Central Mine Historic District is situated on the Keweenaw Point, four-and-one-half miles east of Eagle Harbor. The district includes twenty frame structures remaining from an original mining town composed of approximately 130 structures. The Central Mine and the Central Mine Methodist Church are highlights of the district. Eighteen company houses remain; all are frame, two-story, topped by gable roofs, with lean-to additions, porches, and stone foundations. Scattered ruins, foundations, and rock piles form the outlines of the original town.
Statement of Significance Central Mine Historic District is an excellent example of a former copper mining community and represents the history of the copper mining industry in upper Michigan. The Central Mining Company organized in 1854 and began to mine a substantial copper vein. Between the years 1856-1898 the company built over 130 structures for the mine and community. At the height of mine production in 1868 the community swelled to 900 citizens, mostly immigrants from Cornwall, England. The Central Mine Methodist Episcopal Church--a highlight of the district--was built approximately 1869 to reflect their native architectural tastes. Eventually, the mining industry slowed and by 1887 the Central Mine was the only fully operational mine in Keweenaw County. By the 1890s the copper supply was exhausted. Operations ceased in 1898, and the town was slowly deserted. The last permanent resident left the town in 1952, and the area is currently dotted with summer cottages.
Period of Significance 1856-1898
Registry Type(s) 11/15/1973 State Register listed
Site ID# P23795