|Statement of Significance
In the summer of 1854, John Shawson, an agent of the Cliff Mine, discovered heavy masses of native copper in the bottom of an ancient pit. Located several miles from the Cliff Mine in the northern portion of the Keweenaw Peninsula, the pit had apparently been dug by prehistoric Indian miners. On November 15, 1854 the Central Mining Company was organized. The mine produced large quantities of copper, and until the 1890s, when the Kearsage lode was discovered about fifteen miles away, it was the largest and most profitable mine in the area. The town of Central soon grew up around the mine, and the population reached about 1,200 at its peak. By July of 1898, the ore had been depleted, the mine closed and the town was soon abandoned.