The Copper Harbor Lighthouse, photo taken in 1969. The Copper Harbor Lighthouse, photo taken in 1969.
Click above images to enlarge

Copper Harbor Lighthouse
Fort Wilkins State Park, S SE SW, 59 N, 28 W, Copper Harbor vicinity - Keweenaw County
Property Type lighthouse
Historic Use DEFENSE/coast guard facility
Current Use RECREATION AND CULTURE/museum
Style Other
Narrative Description The Copper Harbor Lighthouse consists of a light-colored, brick, gable-roofed keeper's residence with a square light tower, three stories high attached to one end closest to the lake. The brick tower is capped by a multi-sided lantern. A one-story, shed-roofed addition is attached to the rear of the house. The light in 1907 was a fourth order, fixed white Fresnell light. The light house structure was constructed in 1866. A steel tower with a light is located about one hundred feet directly in front of the light station.
Statement of Significance Established in 1849, the Copper Harbor Light Station served as an entrance beacon to Copper Harbor. The present light station is the second constructed at the site. The original detached stone keeper's dwelling dating from 1849 still stands on the property. The light was converted from oil-burning to acetylene gas and the station became non-attendant in 1919. In 1927, the Lighthouse Service moved the gas light to a sixty foot steel tower nearby and leased the keeper's dwelling to a Chicago area physician who used it as a summer residence for twenty years. In 1937 the steel tower light was converted to electricity. In 1963, the lighthouse was acquired by the Department of Natural Resources, restored, and opened as a museum. It is currently part of Fort Wilkins State Park.
Period of Significance 1849-1919
Significant Date(s) 1866
Registry Type(s) 02/22/1974 State Register listed
Site ID# P23786