Holy Redeemer Church, photo submitted 1971
Click above images to enlarge

Holy Redeemer Church
West end of Center Street, Eagle Harbor - Keweenaw County
Property Type church
Historic Use RELIGION
Current Use RELIGION
Style Gothic
Significant Person Bishop Frederick Baraga
Narrative Description Holy Redeemer Church is an end-gable rectangular plan, single story, vernacular Gothic church, with cornice returns. A square belfry surmounted an octagonal steeple and iron cross crowns the roofline. The pointed Gothic arch entrance is repeated by louvered openings on four sides of the belfry. The exterior walls have been sheathed with aluminum siding. Interior decoration is simple, and Bishop Baraga's vestments and chalice are on display.
Statement of Significance The Holy Redeemer Church was built in 1854 and is the oldest surviving church of the Roman Catholic diocese in northern Michigan. Reverend Henry L. Thiele, the first priest ordained for the diocese in Sault Ste. Marie, supervised the construction of the church as a tribute to Roman Catholic Bishop Frederic Baraga. The bustling port of Eagle Harbor provided the church with high attendance until the decline of the copper industry and shipping in the later part of the century. The church was renovated by diocese members after a long vacant period and is currently used for regular services during summer months.
Period of Significance 1826-1865
Significant Date(s) 1854
Registry Type(s) 03/16/1972 National Register listed
02/19/1958 State Register listed
Site ID# P23783