John and Minnie Blodgett Estate, photo taken 1983 John and Minnie Blodgett Estate, photo taken 1983 John and Minnie Blodgett Estate, photo taken 1983
Click above images to enlarge

Blodgett, John W. and Minnie Cumnock, Estate
250 Plymouth Road, SE, East Grand Rapids - Kent County
Other Names Brookby
Property Type brick house
Historic Use DOMESTIC
Current Use DOMESTIC
Style Colonial Revival
Architect/Builder WALKER AND GILLETTE
Narrative Description The John W. Blodgett Estate ("Brookby"), developed in 1928, is an eight-acre tract located on Fisk Lake in suburban East Grand Rapids. The estate contains the Blodgett house-- a broad-fronted, winged, red brick structure with rich Georgian Revival detailing-- and other subsidiary buildings set on grounds which are beautifully landscaped with formal gardens, terraces, and large, old trees. The Blodgett house is a two-story, limestone-trimmed structure of red brick laid up in Flemish bond. The central portions of both the front and rear facades project the depth of a window bay from the main mass of the building, the front projection being punctuated by four pilasters dividing it into three equal bays. A corbeled brick cornice with brick dentils ties the facade together horizontally at the level of the pilaster tops. Of the three bays, the central one is the most highly articulated, having in it the entrance doorway. The two slender doors topped by a transom are flanked on either side by a Corinthian pilaster and, in front of it, a column of the Corinthian order. These support a projecting broken entabulature and segmental pediment. Both the entablature and pediment are finely detailed with small modillions and dentils. The interior is elaborately decorated and still retains all of its original fittings, furnishings, and woodwork.
Statement of Significance The John W. Blodgett Estate is significant for its association with John W. Blodgett, Grand Rapids financier, lumberman, and philanthropist, and his wife, Minnie Cumnock Blodgett, who was nationally known for her work in public health and welfare. The estate possesses additional significance in artistic and architectural terms for its early twentieth-century landscaping and for the Blodgett house which, designed by A. Stewart Walker of the New York firm of Walker and Gillette, is one of Michigan's outstanding monuments of Georgian Revival domestic architecture. The estate and house are all the more important in that they remain virtually unaltered from the time of their completion.
Period of Significance 1901-1930
Significant Date(s) 1928
Registry Type(s) 07/28/1983 National Register listed
12/08/1977 State Register listed
Site ID# P23712