Romeo Historic District, photo submitted 1970.
Click above images to enlarge

Romeo Historic District
Roughly bounded by the corporate lines of the village, Romeo - Macomb County
Property Type district
Historic Use DOMESTIC
Current Use DOMESTIC
Narrative Description The Romeo Historic District has a great concentration of well-preserved historic structures representing a variety of styles. Most of the approximately 100 structures are simple frame structures including many Gothic Revival cottages, with a few substantial brick buildings along the downtown main street. The tasteful and unpretentious structures stand on gently rolling hills surrounded by valuable farmland.
Statement of Significance The Romeo Historic District is an excellent and well-preserved example of a small, nineteenth century midwestern village. Fertile farmland attracted settlers to the area as early as 1832, and simple log farmhouses began to dot the area. The establishment of the Romeo Academy and a branch of the University of Michigan during the 1840s attracted academics and professionals who built more elaborate frame cottages. The arrival of the railroad in 1869 brought increased trade activity to the town and supported the developing lumbering industry. Continued planned growth has allowed Romeo to maintain a high degree of historical integrity and pleasant quality of life.
Period of Significance 1826-1865
Significant Date(s) 1835, 1910
Registry Type(s) 07/08/1970 National Register listed
04/24/1970 State Register listed
Site ID# P24101