The William J. Tully House, photo c. 1983
Click above images to enlarge

Tully, William J., House
519 West Cayuga Street, Iron River - Iron County
Property Type frame house
Historic Use DOMESTIC/single dwelling
Current Use DOMESTIC/single dwelling
Style Other
Significant Person William J. Tully
Narrative Description The Tully House is a large, square, frame structure built in 1909, with broad, bracketed eaves. The house has a partially enclosed front porch which is supported by wooden paneled piers and extends west of the house to form a porte cochere. Raised artificial foliage and other devices appear in the front porch's entranceway gable, and in a tympanum over a bay of windows on the west side of the house. Other ornamentation consists of fluted pilasters flanking the central second-story window and a dentiled cornice above the front porch. The structure is currently clad in asbestos siding.
Statement of Significance The Tully house is architecturally significant for its unusually rich decorative scheme which adorns an otherwise simple, "American Four-square" form. The house is also notable as the one-time residence of William J. Tully, an early settler in Iron River, who later achieved prominence as a local politician and mine owner. Trained as a blacksmith, Tully moved to the Iron River area from Ispheming. He served as county supervisor from 1888 to 1890 and a sheriff of Iron County from 1891 to 1899. After his retirement as sheriff, he explored extensively and successfully for iron ore, gaining interests in the Baker, Swanson, and Tully mines. He resided at this home until his death in 1923.
Period of Significance 1901-1930
Significant Date(s) 1909
Registry Type(s) 12/22/1983 National Register listed
Site ID# P23546