Truesdell, Ephraim and Emma Woodworth, House
1224Haggerty Road, Canton Township - Wayne County
Historic Use AGRICULTURE AND SUBSISTENCE
DOMESTIC/single dwelling
Current Use AGRICULTURE AND SUBSISTENCE
DOMESTIC/single dwelling
Style Late Victorian
Architect/Builder Charles W. Curtiss
Narrative Description The Truesdell House, built in 1888 by Charles W. Curtis of Plymouth, Michigan, is a two-story, hip-and-cross-gable roof building with red brick walls. The east facing house displays a cross-shaped form, with a narrow-fronted and deep gable-front section intersected about midway back by a side-gable section, with roof slightly lower than the house's main roof, that projects one window bay beyond the side walls on either side. Set back slightly from the gable-front section facade and one window-bay's distance back (south) from the north end of the side-gable section is the hip-roof part, which contains the street-facing double-door main entrance. Two porches with low, shingled pent roofs and Eastlake detailing - turned posts with pierced-work screens connecting their upper portions - frame the house's front-gable and hip-roof front section, one forming an L around the hip-roof section's facade that shelter the front entrance and the other flanking the front section's south side. The house's front and side gables display identical wooden gable ornaments. In each the lower edge is an arch - decorated with a pattern of incised-decoration semicircles - springing from a short, parited-bracket-supported horizontal extending inward from the roof eave on either side. The house's double-hung, one-over-one windows are set within segmented-arch brick caps with projecting stone impost blocks and keystones, the latter displaying incised carving. A brick-walled square-plan bay window projects from the south wall of the side-gable section. The house stands on a stone foundation whose walls are topped by a rock faced sandstone water table.
Statement of Significance The Truesdell House is one of the outstanding Late Victorian architectural landmarks of Canton Township, Michigan. Few houses in the township demonstrate the craftsmanship and quality of materials used in the Truesdell House. Perhaps no other house, in the township, of this quality, retain its integrity of setting as well as the Truesdell House. In addition the Truesdell family, one of Canton's founding families, established a dynasty with a long history in the township. The family farmed the property beyond the mid-twentieth century. A great grandson of the first farmer ran a state of the art dairy farm that drew visitors from Europe and Japan.
Period of Significance 19Th Century
Significant Date(s) 1888
Registry Type(s) 04/02/2003 National Register listed
Site ID# P47783