Clyde, Thomas and Isabelle Moore, House
50325Cherry Hill Road, Canton Township - Wayne County
Historic Use DOMESTIC/single dwelling
Current Use DOMESTIC/single dwelling
Style Greek Revival
Narrative Description The Thomas Clyde House is a one-and-one-half story, c. 1845 upright and double-wing Greek Revival building whose facade is atypical in its asymmetry. While the front of the east wing of the north-facing building is recessed back from the central upright's facade the depth of a porch that fronts it, the front wall of the west wing, which has no porch, is aligned with the upright's front wall. The house's corners display "antae" supporting a classical entablature with low architrave and higher frieze. The classical raking cornices display returns. Victorian porches that front the upright and east wing display think chamfered edge square-plan posts with pierced-work brackets framing the openings between the posts and a single bracket in the porch cornice directly above each post. The house's walls are clapboarded (except for flush horizontal boarding on the upright's facade behind the porch) and pierced by two front entrances, a central one in the upright and another in the east wing, and by square-head six-over-six windows. The house retains its original ramped door and window surrounds with earred trim. It has an asphalt shingle roof. Brick chimneys are found on the upright and west wing. The house stands on a rock-face concrete foundation.
Statement of Significance The Clyde house is an unusual example of an upright and double wing Greek Revival house. It is significant because it is a subtype found predominately in the northeastern states, and most likely brought to Canton Township by settlers from New York State. A 1999 reconnaissance survey of Canton Township found only two other upright and double wing houses extant. The asymmetrical house has Greek Revival features such as Doric columns and return cornices.
Period of Significance Mid 19th Century
Significant Date(s) 1845
Registry Type(s) 04/02/2003 National Register listed
Site ID# P47782