Click above images to enlarge

Keeney, John W. and Erena Alexander Rogers, Farm
5300Monroe, - Lenawee County
Historic Use AGRICULTURE/SUBSISTENCE/agricultural field
DOMESTIC/single dwelling
LANDSCAPE/natural feature
Current Use AGRICULTURE/SUBSISTENCE/agricultural field
DOMESTIC/single dwelling
LANDSCAPE/natural feature
Style Other
Architect/Builder Riley Butrick
Narrative Description The Keeney Farm is comprised of 256 acres of orchard, field, woodland, and pond in sections 20 and 21 of Franklin Township, all but ten acres of it owned by the Keeney family since 1835. The gently rolling property fronts on the north side of an early highway, the La Plaisance Bay Turnpike, now Michigan Route M-50, for nearly three-quarters of a mile. It contains the Keeney orchard, which has been in continuous operation as a commercial orchard since about 1875. Standing on the property is the upright-and-wing Keeney House, a clapboarded building constructed in the 1865-68 period, whose yard displays landscape features dating from 1926 and 1950 that include a concrete and fieldstone retaining wall along the highway frontage and one side of the yard, a concrete birdbath, and a fieldstone fireplace.
Statement of Significance Established by the Keeney family in 1835, the Keeney Farm contains one of the few surviving, and the oldest continuously operated, commercial orchards in Lenawee County, a southeastern Michigan county that was one of the state's largest apple producers in the late nineteenth century. Today's orchard is one of the few left in Lenawee County to represent the county's loong and important history as leading apple-producing county in a state that has long been and remains a leading producer. The Keeney farmhouse itself is a well-preserved, Civil War-era example of the upright-and-wing form that also displays high quality design features dating from a renovation in 1926. These alterations added a new level of architectural character to the house without seriously altering its basic character. Surviving landscape features of the house's grounds illustrate vernacular yard landscaping techniques characteristic of the 1920's-1950's period.
Significant Date(s) 1926
Registry Type(s) 09/24/2001 National Register listed
Site ID# P47626