Click above images to enlarge

Smith-Culhane House
8569Lake Street, Port Austin - Huron County
Historic Use DOMESTIC/secondary structure
DOMESTIC/single dwelling
Current Use DOMESTIC/hotel
DOMESTIC/secondary structure
Style Late Victorian
Significant Person Cornelius Culhane
Narrative Description Facing east on Lake Street just south of Port Austin's business district, the Smith-Culhane House is a T-shaped one-and-a-half-story Late Victorian building with brick walls and high gable roof displaying six gables. The T-shaped house is comprised of an upright that forms the head of the T and the wing, whose roofline intersects the slightly higher upright's roof at a right angle. The wing displays subsidiary front and rear gables. The gables display curvilinear vine-like bargeboards, and this trim continues around the horizontal eaves, except in the rear facade. Segmental-arched, slightly projecting, brick lintels cap the one-over-one windows and the transom lights above the two entrances, located side-by-side in the wing's front next to the upright, and the upright's south side next to the wing, Brick-walled slant-sided bay windows push out form the end of the upright's facade near the wing, and from the end of the upright's side facade near the front. The primary exterior change the house has undergone is the removal long ago of the original Late Victorian wooden front porch. A simple canopy supported by metal pipe columns has replaced it. The house's village lot grounds also contain a small, rectangular, gable-roof building once used as a slaughterhouse.
Statement of Significance Built probably around 1871 for Richard and Abbie (Merrick) Smith, the Smith-Culhane House is most notable as the permanent residence from 1885 until his death in 1903 of Cornelius ("Con") Culhane, an important logging jobber in Luce and Chippewa counties in the 1890's. Of substantial brick construction and highly finished interior, the house is a fine example of the upright-and-wing house in the Thumb region.
Significant Date(s) 1871
Registry Type(s) 09/24/2001 National Register listed
Site ID# P47624