Iron County Courthouse, photo submitted 1975 Iron County Courthouse, photo submitted 1975
Click above images to enlarge

Iron County Courthouse
West end of Superior Avenue, Crystal Falls - Iron County
Property Type courthouse
stone building
Historic Use GOVERNMENT/courthouse
Current Use GOVERNMENT/courthouse
Style Romanesque
Architect/Builder JAMES E. CLANCY
Louis A. Webber
Narrative Description The Iron County Courthouse is a massive, irregularly shaped two-and-one-half-story Richardsonian Romanesque building which occupies a hilltop site at the head of Crystal Falls main commercial street. The hip-roof building with rock-face, stone-trimmed reddish brown brick walls stands on a rubble masonry foundation. The facade features a conical tower on one corner balanced by a projecting square tower that is topped by a belfry and hexagonal cupola with clock faces on the other. A staircase leads to the rock-face granite central archway that contains the entrance. A zinc sculptured group representing law, mercy, and justice stands atop the facade above the archway. The polished oak courtroom is the highlight of the interior.
Statement of Significance The Iron County Courthouse is the outstanding Richardsonian Romanesque courthouse building in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. Architect J. C. Clancy of Antigo, Wisconsin, designed the building, which was constructed in 1890-92 by Louis A. Webber of Menasha, Wisconsin, at a cost of $40,000.
Period of Significance 1866-1900
Significant Date(s) 1890-1892
Registry Type(s) 02/24/1975 National Register listed
09/17/1974 State Register listed
Site ID# P23513