Ingham County Courthouse, photo submitted 1976
Click above images to enlarge

Ingham County Courthouse
Corner of Jefferson and Ash streets, Mason - Ingham County
Property Type courthouse
Historic Use GOVERNMENT
Current Use GOVERNMENT
Style Beaux Arts
Classical Revival
Renaissance
Architect/Builder Edwyn A. Bowd
Narrative Description The Ingham County Courthouse is a monumental Beaux Arts structure of mixed Neoclassical and Second Renaissance Revival design. A low-mansard-roofed building with walls of light colored brown sandstone, the courthouse has a symmetrical facade with slightly projecting sections at the corners and a pedimented full-height portico with paired columns in the center. The gently sloping Mansard roof has cove-vault pavilions at each of the four corners and is surmounted by a central domed clock tower. Raised horizontally laid buff colored sandstone banding between the masonry courses and between the window voussoirs give the wall surfaces a highly textural finish.
Statement of Significance Designed by Lansing architect Edwyn A. Bowd, the 1902-1905 Ingham County Courthouse is an outstanding example of the towered courthouses of classical derivation in Michigan. The courthouse has been the setting for several important trials including the 1925 Arthur Rich rape trial and the 1969 Algiers Motel murder trial.
Marker Name Ingham County Courthouse
Marker Text INGHAM COUNTY COURTHOUSE Named for Samuel Ingham, Secretary of the Treasury under Andrew Jackson, Ingham County was organized in 1838. In 1840, Mason became the county seat. The town's wide public square had been designed as the county's political and business center. The first county offices were on the sides of the square built at this location. The present building, completed in 1904, was described as a "temple of justice." Governor Fred Warner, speaking at the dedication, called it "a meeting place for farmers, mechanics, business and professional men." The courthouse has been the center of Ingham County's activities throughout the twentieth century. In 1971 the building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Period of Significance 1901-1930
Significant Date(s) 1902-1905, 1925, 1969
Registry Type(s) 10/03/1972 Marker erected
12/13/1971 National Register listed
05/18/1971 State Register listed
Site ID# P23417