Masonic Temple Building, photo taken 1980
Click above images to enlarge

Masonic Temple
217 South Capitol Avenue, Lansing - Ingham County
Other Names Cooley, Thomas M., Law School
Property Type brick building
Historic Use RECREATION AND CULTURE
Current Use EDUCATION/school
Style Classical Revival
Architect/Builder Bowd and Munson
Edwyn A. Bowd
McColl, Snyder and McLean
Narrative Description The former Masonic Temple is a seven-story, Neo-Classical Revival structure with a limestone front and buff-brick side and rear walls. The structure's facade consists of a pedimented, antae-decorated block resting on a lower basement containing a recessed entry fronted by Doric columns. Anthemion and acroteria motifs decorate the roofline and metal grills in the pediment frieze. The temple's interior, which contained several large halls entered from an ample lobby/stair hall, has been extensively altered to house the classrooms and offices of the Cooley Law School, which purchased the building in 1974. However, the Roman Classical lobby remains intact.
Statement of Significance Designed by Edwyn A. Bowd, Lansing's most prominent early twentieth-century architect, the Masonic Temple is Lansing's finest Neo-Classical Revival structure. Lansing's Masonic community began in 1849 with the establishment of Lansing Lodge No. 33. The growth of the city's Masonic orders led to the construction of the city's first Masonic Temple at the turn of the century and to the building of this larger Temple in 1924. The building now houses the Cooley Law School.
Period of Significance 1901-1930
Significant Date(s) 1924, 1974
Registry Type(s) 09/17/1980 National Register listed
05/15/1987 State Register listed
Site ID# P23378