Horticultural Laboratory Building, photo 1971
Click above images to enlarge

Horticultural Laboratory Building
West Circle Drive, across from Morrill Hall, Michigan State University campus, East Lansing - Ingham County
Other Names Eustace Hall, Bailey Building
Property Type laboratory
Historic Use EDUCATION
Style Other
Architect/Builder Liberty Hyde Bailey
Significant Person Liberty Hyde Bailey
Narrative Description The old Horticultural Building (Eustace Hall) on the campus of Michigan State University is a rectangular plan, two-story, side-gable structure on a coursed ashlar foundation with a projecting subsidiary front gable. A two-story conical bay further projects from the front-gable, slightly to the side of the arched entrance. Exterior walls are primarily of patterned brick except for the upper floors of the subsidiary gable and tower, which are covered with wood shingles. The functional atmosphere of the interior, created by the classroom and laboratory spaces, is broken by a decorative spiral staircase.
Statement of Significance The Horticultural Laboratory Building was the nation's first laboratory designed specifically for the study of horticulture. Designed by Liberty Hyde Bailey, a professor at the college, the building was completed in 1888. A replacement horticultural building was built in 1921 and the Basic College moved into the old building. Currently, the old Horticultural Building houses the Honors College for Michigan State University.
Marker Name Harry J. Eustace Hall
Marker Text HARRY J. EUSTACE HALL Famous horticulturist and educator, Liberty Hyde Bailey, designed this building as the first separate horticulture laboratory in America. Completed in 1888, the structure contained rooms for classes and botanical experiments. It exemplified Bailey's pioneering work in scientific investigation of plant life. Its present name commemorates Harry J. Eustace, former professor and chairman of the Horticulture Department. The Honors College now occupies the structure.
Period of Significance 1888-1921
Registry Type(s) 01/10/1977 Marker erected
09/03/1971 National Register listed
03/03/1971 State Register listed
Site ID# P23342