First Congregational Church Of Lake Linden
Click above images to enlarge

First Congregational Church of Lake Linden
First Street and M-26, Lake Linden - Houghton County
Property Type church
Historic Use RELIGION
Current Use RELIGION
Style Late Victorian
Architect/Builder HOLABIRD AND ROCHE
Narrative Description The First Congregational Church of Lake Linden is a finely detailed example of Victorian Stick Style architecture. The church is a pine shingled frame building with a lighted, raised basement on a foundation of random coursed mine rock. The front facade consists of a sharp gable, intersected off center by a pyramid roofed tower balanced by a brick chimney opposite. A centered gabled verandah with double entrances finishes the front facade. The rectangular building has no wings, but double clipped peak dormers with sharp gable and a two-story rear bay complete the structural arrangement. The richly detailed exterior features fish scale and flat-edged shingles divided into sections by vertical and horizontal stick work. Focal points in the entrance gable and tower are the patterns of diagonally arranged, beaded narrow board siding. Panels of herringbone and squares of pinwheel-arranged siding are framed with stick work and trimmed with carved wooden rosettes. Contrasting turned spindles create a frieze across the verandah. Floral design relieves the stark linear emphasis in rosettes on panels, porch and staircase posts, in simple cutouts on the vergeboards, and curvilinear brackets under the eaves. The tower belfry consists of turned corner posts and horizontal louvers.
Statement of Significance The First Congregational Church is a sophisticated example of the Stick architectural style infrequently found in the western Upper Peninsula. Churches, such as the First Congregational Church of Lake Linden, represented the developing relationship between industry and social life and the strong identity of immigrant groups in the mill towns of the western Upper Peninsula, such as Lake Linden, which developed during the copper mining boom of the late 1880s. The First Congregational Church was formed in 1882 by a small group of Scottish immigrants who met at the home of Allen McIntyre in Lake Linden. A building committee composed of Allen McIntyre, who was a service boss for Calumet and Hecla, two mining captains, a railroad line supervisor, and a local businessman procured drawings from the architectural firm of Holabird and Roche of Chicago. The church was dedicated in February of 1887 and was one of the few frame structures to survive the major fire of the summer of 1887. It continues to host regular worship services.
Period of Significance 1866-1900
Significant Date(s) 1886-1887
Registry Type(s) 11/17/1980 National Register listed
Site ID# P23296