Joseph Bosch Building, photo taken 1981
Click above images to enlarge

Bosch, Joseph, Building
302 Calumet Avenue, Lake Linden - Houghton County
Other Names Lindell Chocolate Shop
Property Type brick building
Historic Use COMMERCE/TRADE
Current Use COMMERCE/TRADE
Style Other
Narrative Description The Joseph Bosch Building is a two-story, brick commercial building located facing east on the main business street of Lake Linden, in Michigan's Western Upper Peninsula. The building is flat roofed with an ornate, bracketed metal cornice. Within slightly recessed rectangular brick areas of the second story are two sets of four, one-over-one double-hung windows with smooth stone hoods featuring key stones. A single window located in a narrow, recessed area on the north side, alters the symmetrical balance of the second story. Below a smooth stone sill course is a plain but projecting belt cornice separating the second story from two store fronts below. The large, paned display windows and a transomed center front entrance leading to the upstairs remain unchanged. Inside, the building originally housed factory and storage space upstairs, retail and restaurant space downstairs. The building covers a stone foundation with full basement.
Statement of Significance The Joseph Bosch Building is significant for its well preserved 1920s restaurant interior, as a typical rendition of turn-of-the-century vernacular commercial architecture, and for its connection to local, ethnic-related business history. Joseph Bosch, an owner of local breweries probably built the building around 1893 as a warehouse. From 1893 until 1916, a number of businesses were tenants of the structure including Poull Dry Goods Mercantile Company, the Lake Linden Co-op, and Edward Lieblein's wholesale grocery. In 1916 two Greek Americans, Louis Grammas and Jim Palis, bought the building from the Lake Linden Co-op and two years later opened a candy and ice cream shop named Lindell after the two towns, Lake Linden and Hubbell, which it served. During the 1930s two brothers, John and Angelo Gekas, also of Greek-American background and relatives of the original owners, assumed ownership of the Lindell Restaurant and continued a tradition of producing excellent confectioneries. At one time, Lindell's was the largest producer of chocolates in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Lindell's continues to operate under new ownership.
Period of Significance 1866-1900
Significant Date(s) 1893
Registry Type(s) 04/22/1982 National Register listed
01/13/1982 State Register listed
Site ID# P23294